It seems that today’s must-have kitchen appliance is a large fridge-freezer. The Americans came first, but the UK is catching up fast, and the bigger the better. But it’s not just size that counts, looks are important too, and if you have a modern kitchen, one of LG’s new American-style fridge-freezers will beautifully complement your built-in units and other appliances.
LG may not be the first company you would think of when choosing a new fridge freezer as the Korean manufacturer is perhaps best known in the UK for its mobile phones and flat screen TVs, but the latest range of fridge freezers from LG will do it. look simply stunning in your kitchen. However, the range of products on offer can be quite confusing, which is why in this article we take a look at the latest batch of LG fridge freezers released just in time to stock up on Christmas 2010 leftovers.
The top end products in the range are the American-style side-by-side refrigerator freezers, which are the largest in the range and offer the convenience of having both the refrigerator and freezer at eye level. The three models of this type are the LG GS7161AELV, with a gross capacity of 613 liters and a Brushed Steel finish; the LG GWL227HHXV, with a gross capacity of 606 liters and a Shine-Steel finish; and the LG GWB207FVQA, finished in Glossy White and with 591 liters of gross capacity.
The characteristics common to the entire side-by-side range are:
– Total No Frost, which eliminates the hassle of defrosting, keeping the inside of the refrigerator defrosted, odor-free and easy to clean. And, because the refrigerator isn’t working harder to compensate, it saves you money on your energy bills.
– The Moist Balance Crisper uses a unique lattice-type blade that prevents moisture build-up in storage containers, keeping fruits and vegetables fresh for longer.
– A Bioshield, which sounds like something out of a science fiction movie, but simply means that the gasket is treated with an antimicrobial agent, preventing mold growth that could distort and stain the seal.
– LED display located on the outside of the door to allow easy adjustments to all settings.
– Digital sensors: monitor the temperature throughout the machine to keep the refrigerator and freezer compartments at desired temperatures.
– Open door alarm.
– A lock for children, which helps keep your children and your food safe too!
The GS7161AELV is the largest of the three, measuring 894 x 1753 x 790mm (W x H x D) with a 372-liter refrigerator capacity and 172-liter freezer. The GS7161AELV features a door mounted ice maker. The Vacuum Fresh option sucks air out of the vegetable compartment to keep vegetables fresh for longer. Cooling is provided by a linear compressor, which is quieter and more energy efficient than conventional compressors. Energy efficiency is also aided by the use of long-lasting LED lighting instead of conventional light bulbs. You should be able to buy the LG GS7161AELV for around £ 1,300.
The GWL227HHXV is the mid-size unit, measuring 894 x 1753 x 753 mm (W x H x D) with a 365 liter refrigeration capacity and a 172 liter freezer. Like its big brother, the GWL227HHXV uses a linear compressor, which makes it quieter and more energy efficient than a conventional fridge freezer. It also has the Vacuum Fresh feature and a door-mounted ice maker. The GWL227HHXV is a plumbing free refrigerator, so there is no need to plug pipes or change a water filter. Instead, you only need to fill a container equipped with fresh water to generate cold water and ice. You should be able to buy the LG GWL227HHXV for around £ 1,000.
The GWB207FVQA is the smallest of the three, measuring 894 x 1753 x 725mm (W x H x D) with a 349-liter refrigerator capacity and a 178-liter freezer. It is the least energy efficient of the three units, consuming approximately 20% more energy than the two largest machines as a result of using a conventional compressor to provide cooling. It also lacks an ice dispenser, although there is a normal ice tray in the freezer compartment. You should be able to buy the LG GWB207FVQA for between £ 600 and £ 700.
Hopefully, this article has helped explain the differences between these three fridge freezers. Needless to say, all three are attractive products from a trusted manufacturer and any one of these would be a welcome addition to any Christmas stocking.