Adapting to future needs.

Everything you need to know about the ETA visa for Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization, eTA is the new requirement for foreign citizens who are visa exempt and are flying or in transit through Canada. This is only necessary if the foreign national is traveling to Canada by air and is not necessary if traveling by land. People who have Visa for Canada, Canadian citizenship or permanent residence in Canada do not need the eTA document to enter Canada.


If the person is from any visa-exempt country and is granted a work or study permit, an eTA is automatically issued when they accept the application for a work or study permit. US citizens do not need an eTA or a Visa to travel to Canada. US citizens can visit Canada with a valid US passport. Permanent US residents or green card holders require an eTA to Travel to Canada and they also require carrying your Green Card.

If a person has dual citizenship, that is, they have Canadian citizenship along with at least one other citizenship from another country, they do not need an eTA to enter Canada. But, if you are traveling by plane, you must carry your Canadian passport. If a person is a permanent resident of Canada, they do not need a eTA Canada but you need a valid PR or Permanent Resident Card or Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada.


The eTA is a very simple document to apply for. It can be easily applied for online through the Government of Canada website where the application costs $ 7 CAD. The application only takes a few minutes and once granted the eTA can be valid for up to five years. The eTA is an electronic document and is also electronically linked to the person’s passport number. The person will not receive any physical documents for the eTA from the Canadian government.

The documents required to apply for the eTA are a valid passport and an email address and a debit or credit card. The eTA lasts for five years or until the person’s passport expires, whichever comes first. With a fully valid eTA, a person can travel to Canada as often as they want for short trips, about six months at a time. The information entered in the application is sent electronically to the Canadian Department of Immigration agency, which sends the individual the Canada eTA by email online.


You should always have a passport or any travel document that is valid for at least 6 months from the date of the person’s arrival in Canada. If someone gets a new passport, they also require a new eTA. Once the individual’s eTA is approved, he or she must confirm that the passport number on the eTA is the same as the passport number. Yes, in case they do not match, you will need to obtain a new eTA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *