How to Make Delicious Braised Oxtail in a Slow Cooker
Braised oxtail is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cozy family dinner or special occasion. With the help of a slow cooker, this recipe becomes even easier to make. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating a delicious braised oxtail recipe in a slow cooker.
To make braised oxtail in a slow cooker, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2-3 lbs. of oxtail
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 1 cup of red wine
- 2 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. of thyme
- 1 tsp. of rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Preheat your slow cooker on high heat.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper and brown them in the skillet, for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the oxtail and place them in the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery, and sauté until they are slightly soft.
- Add the tomato paste and stir for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the red wine, beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary, and bring it to a boil.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker with the oxtail.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4-6 hours or low heat for 8-10 hours, until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
- Once done, remove the oxtail and set it aside.
- Strain the sauce from the slow cooker and pour it into a large saucepan.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for about 5-10 minutes, until it has thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the oxtail and serve it hot with your favorite sides.
- If you want to save time, you can brown the oxtail the night before and refrigerate them until ready to use.
- For a deeper flavor, you can marinate the oxtail in the wine and spices for a few hours before cooking.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can mix 1 tbsp. of cornstarch with 2 tbsp. of water and stir it into the saucepan when simmering.
Health Benefits of Oxtail
Oxtail is a flavorful and nutrient-rich meat that is often overlooked. It is a great source of protein, iron, and vitamins B12 and B6. Additionally, it contains collagen, which is great for skin health and joint pain relief. Braising oxtail in a slow cooker helps to tenderize the meat and make it even more nutritious.
In conclusion, braised oxtail in a slow cooker is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for any occasion. With a few simple ingredients and some patience, you can create a flavorful and tender meal that your family and friends will love.